Keeping Hens in the City of Yreka

With the passage of Measure M during the June 5th, 2012 election, up to 6 hens are now allowed to be kept on R-1 and RA zoned areas. Check the zoning map (PDF) to see if your property is zoned R-1 or RA


In order to be permitted to keep hens within City limits, an application (PDF) has to be submitted to the City Clerk.

Submit a completed application, which includes a site plan, pictures, and executed application form to the Yreka City Clerk:
701 Fourth Street
Yreka, CA 96097

If the applicant is not the property owner, the property owner must sign authorizing the application before it can be submitted.

City of Yreka Rules & Regulations Regarding Hens

  • A total of not more than six chicken hens may be kept and maintained in the zones permitted in Yreka Municipal Code Title 16. Title 16 allows the keeping of hens in Zone RA - Residential Agriculture, and Zone R-1 - Single Family Residential.
  • No hen shall be kept or maintained under this provision except in a clean and sanitary pen or structure; no part of any pen or structure shall be located within the front yard or in the rear or side yard setbacks in the zones where permitted; odors from the animals or the manure or feed shall not be perceptible at the property boundaries and, provided further, that the keeping of such animal shall not create a health or nuisance problem.
  • Minimum Setbacks from property line required:
    • Zone R-A: Front: 20 feet, Side: 10 feet, and Rear: 5 feet
    • Zone R-1: Front: 20 feet, Side 10 feet (5 feet may be allowed if the applicant can demonstrate that they have 10 feet on the other side yard), and Rear: 5 feet.
  • The condition of the pen or structure and/or odors from the animals, manure or feed shall not cause discomfort or annoyance to any reasonable person of normal sensitiveness residing in the area. The pen or structure for the keeping of such animals shall not be closer to a neighboring dwelling than the dwelling occupied by the person owning or keeping such animals. No slaughter of hens is permitted in any yard area of the property.
  • If the property upon which the hens will be kept is a rental property, landlord consent is required for the keeping of the hens. No commercial sales of such animals or eggs are permitted.
  • Any person keeping or maintaining hens under this section shall immediately obtain a permit, which shall provide their name, address and phone number to the City Clerk along with the address of the location of the hens being kept and acknowledges notice of these provisions. The permit is non-transferrable and indefinite but is subject to withdrawal or rescission. The permit is subject to revocation only upon the violation, in which event no hens shall be allowed on the subject property.