The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department:

  • Reviews and approves parcel maps, subdivision maps, and plans for public infrastructure improvements
  • Inspects all public infrastructure improvements (i.e. streets, storm drains, water lines, sewer lines, sidewalks, etc.)
  • Issues encroachment permits
  • Manages the City's transportation improvement program
  • Manages the funding, design, and construction of the majority of the City's capital improvement projects

Encroachment Permit

The Yreka Municipal Code requires an Encroachment Permit be issued by the Department of Public Works before any work is done in the public right of way or on any City facility. This includes, but is not limited to, any work in the street, any work between the back of curb (or back of sidewalk) and the right of way line, and construction or modification of curb, gutter, sidewalk, and driveway approaches. It also includes construction or modification of, or connection to, any City sewer, water, and storm drain facility.

A Building Permit, issued by the Building Department, is not an Encroachment Permit and does not authorize you or allow you to perform any work in the public right of way.

City of Yreka Construction Standards

The City of Yreka generally uses construction standards of the City of Redding for public improvements. Standard details for the City of Redding are available at its website.

Some of the standards for construction have been modified for specific conditions in Yreka, and are compiled in the City of Yreka, Department of Public Works, Supplement to the City of Redding Construction Standards.