The Building Department ensures that buildings in the City of Yreka are safe by enforcing standards to help safeguard the public. The department regulates the design, construction, materials, and other factors in the construction, renovation and improvements to buildings and structures. Building permits, forms, statistical information and answering building or code related questions are provided by the Building Department.
The Building Department also examines and approves plans, inspects construction and components that become part of a structure and educates the public with regard to code requirements. Finally, the Building Department examines and approves specifications for compliance with building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, energy, fire, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), federal, state and local codes and ordinances.
Building Inspections - 24 Hour Notice Required
Inspections are available on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Scheduling an inspection requires at least 24-hours notice. To schedule an inspection, or for questions, call Dave Smith at 530-938-4441. Office hours are by appointment only.
For building permits and applications please see building department information and forms on this page or our Codes Fees and Licenses page.
Owner Builder & Consumer Information
The California Contractors State License Board has valuable information about owner-builder's responsibilities and rights, as well as information for those planning on hiring a contractor.
Call Before You Dig
If your project includes breaking ground, be sure to call 811 at least 48 hours before you plan to start digging. For more information, visit U.S.A. North.
- Accessory dwelling units - (ADU/JADU) - (PDF)
- Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Commercial Impact Fee Worksheet
- Design Criteria (PDF)
- Environmental Health and Air Pollution Form (PDF)
- Example Site Plan (PDF)
- Fees-Building Permits (PDF)
- Fees-Electrical Permits (PDF)
- Fees-Mechanical Permit (PDF)
- Fees-Plumbing Permits (PDF)
- Fees-School Building (PDF)
- General Permit Application Information (PDF)
- Grading Final- Certification (PDF)
- Grading Rough-Certification (PDF)
- LP-Gas Containers Information Packet (PDF)
- Master Worksheet - Building Permit Application
- MWELO - Landscape Sites - 2,500 Square Feet and More (PDF)
- MWELO - Landscape Sites - 500 to 2,499 Square Feet (PDF)
- MWELO - Landscape Sites - Little or No Landscape (PDF)
- Plan Check Submittal Commercial T.I. - Additions-Alterations
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Residential Fire Sprinkler Connection (PDF)
- Residential Impact Fee Worksheet
- Resolution No. 2021-12
- Solar - California Permitting Guidebook (PDF)
- Solar - Rooftop Residential Checklist (PDF)